Thursday, December 9, 2010

Lawlessness

This one will probably step on some toes...but isn't that the job of a prophet?  That's why the OT prophets tried to talk God out of calling them to that responsibility.

I want more spiritual authority in my life.  I want to see the powers of darkness pushed back and the captives set free.  Those of you who know me well know that my theme passage in life is Isaiah 61.

One of the brothers in the body of Christ that I listen to often is Arthur Burk.  He is out on the edge in his spiritual walk and that's the kind of guy I want to hear from.  A mutual friend of ours mentioned to me around New Year's last year that Arthur had suggested that if we want more spiritual authority in our lives we need to be obedient to the law.  Now he is not advocating just being Pharisees or Sadduces and trying to keep the 614 Jewish laws for the sake of the appearance.  And he's not trying to get people to become proud of their "righteousness".  He wants to see more Christians with spiritual authority active in the world.  I'd say we need it, don't you?

So what practical thing did he suggest?  That we as Christians obey the speed limit.  Stepped on my toes!  I had gradually over the years stepped up my speed on the road to keep up with the traffic.  I had noticed in frequent driving that the cops usually didn't bother you doing as much as 10 mph over the speed limit.  In fact, I had heard 15 was now the new limit to get one of them to introduce themselves to you along the road.

I felt convicted, not by the judgment of the person who shared this with me, but by the Holy Spirit.  I want more spiritual authority in my life.  I want to see the power of God released through me as a part of the body of Christ to do battle with the forces of darkness that are ruining the lives of too many in our world.

So shortly after I heard this call, I began to set my cruise control to the speed limit regardless of where I was--local roads, rural roads, interstates.  25, 35, 45, 55, 65.  I got to see the front of a lot of cars in my mirror very close to my rear bumper.  People didn't like it who were following me.  They passed me on double yellow lines, single yellow lines, turning lanes, anywhere they could get around me.  I have been amused to see how many of them I meet at the next traffic light.

I haven't (well, most of the time) used my speed to aggravate them.  I don't pull out in the fast lane on the interstate just to slow someone down.  I have pulled off the road to let some of the drivers go by.  I don't want the stress of having them right on my tail.  In fact, I've noticed something.  In eight months of driving 45 minutes to work every day I found myself arriving both at home and work less stressed.  Our road trips have been less stressful.  I kinda like not having the worry of getting a ticket or getting in someone else's way or having them get in my way and stressing about it.

I live in a conservative county, Lancaster, in PA where there are a lot of church-going people.  Some of them wear little coverings on their head to affirm their being under authority.  Some of them drive black or dark vehicles to avoid the things of the world.  Others look just like me.  But I don't see many of them driving the speed limit. 

I have wondered, what would happen to the traffic here in Lancaster County if the professing Christians drove the speed limit?  For that matter, what would happen if they began to obey the rest of the traffic laws like stopping at stop signs, stopping at red lights, only using designated turn lanes to make a turn?  Take it a step further.  What if the Christians would begin to be courteous in their responses to other drivers?  Would it make a difference in the culture here?

I believe it would...one person at a time.  Think about it.

1 comment:

  1. Courteousness YES! It'd be interesting to all do the speed limit, and probably much safer too, but I read somewhere once that if everyone did the speed limit the traffic jams would be endless.

    ReplyDelete