Sunday, September 26, 2010

Getting Started on a New Venture

I usually do better writing in the morning but since we got this started I guess I better begin posting stuff.

I got the idea of the name of my blog from a book my mother-in-law gave me on a recent trip to VA.  Her pastor had given it to all the men in the congregation.  As my Father has done in the past, he put a book in my hands that I needed at just the right time.

It's called In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day.  It's based on a passage in 2 Samuel 23:20-21.  Having read through the Bible several times I don't ever recall seeing this verse and thinking I need to make it my life verse.  But it has struck a chord with me at this time in my life.

I believe in my heart of hearts that I was born to be a risk-taker.  Unfortunately, I had some dear parents who had been raised in fear and passed that on to me.  I know they didn't mean to crush that risk taking heart.  They merely wanted to protect me.  But they cautioned me about taking risks and being careful.

I'm not sure how careful you can be and follow Jesus.  I mean really follow Jesus.  He certainly wasn't very careful.  He wasn't even nice sometimes.  Isn't that what we have been taught about him?  He is a nice god.  And we should be nice like him.  I believe that is why the world is in the shape it is now--because the church has focused on raising nice Christians and not Christians who go out and chase lions around.  Christians who go to war against the enemy.

So here we are in Lancaster County, a place I once cursed when I left it in 1992 (and have since repented of and blessed).  It was as obvious as night and day that the door was open for us to move here.  But we've had our fingers pinched in the door a couple of times since we got here.  Does that mean we made a mistake?  No, I don't believe so.  We just didn't end up where God wanted us to be.

He didn't want me to work with my son-in-law in his business.  I could speculate on why but it doesn't matter.  He also didn't want me to work with Groff's either because that ended in 9 months.  By the way, that is a record of short employment for me.  I take that back.  I did work one job only a month before moving on.  But this certainly isn't what I wanted at 61.

But I have a clean slate now.  An opportunity to ask the Father, "Why do you really want us in Lancaster County?  Where am I to be who you created me to be?  Who am I to associate with?  Who am I to serve?"  And also, "What lions do you want me to chase?"

Tomorrow morning I'll probably file for unemployment.  I'll update my resume.  I may go walking and pick up some trash around my neighborhood.  And I'll listen.  Help me to hear you Father when you speak in your still small voice.  Whisper your guidance into my ear.  Let my will be your will and any glory be yours.

Dosfedanya--goodbye in Russian. 

No comments:

Post a Comment