Sunday, July 10, 2011

Is it OK?

It's a small world.  Friends of mine were recently in Rehobeth for some vacation.  One of the friends knows how to speak PA Dutch.  She gets a kick out of finding someone like Amish people who are out of their element, saying something to them in Dutch and watching their reaction.

That happened.  She spoke to the husband of the couple and they struck up a conversation.  In the course of the conversation my friend realized that this Amish couple may know me because they have a store in Spartensburg, PA.  She mentioned my name and the wife's eyes lit up.  They were off to the races then.

My Amish friends are a wonderful couple and I enjoyed visiting them when I made my rounds in their area as I sold fabric.  My visits weren't all just about how much fabric I could sell.  They got into the personal.  The spiritual.  The real part of my customers' lives.

The same was true with this couple.  We talked often about our relationship with the Father and what He was doing in the world.

Of course, they wanted to know where I was.  My other English friends told them about my job in Washington, DC with the Veterans Affairs.  They were a bit surprised and suggested that maybe since I was spiritual that it was unusual to find me here.

So where are Christians supposed to be?  What are we supposed to be?  Last time I checked we were to be in the world but not of the world.  We are to be salt and light wherever we go.  Can I do that working for the government?  Certainly.  I am a child of the King wherever I find myself.

Are there needy hearts in Washington?  Are their needy hearts on the Metro each morning and evening?  Are there needy hearts in my office?

Haven't had any trouble finding them so far!

What are we as Christians supposed to be doing in the world?  We are to serve.  We are to love.  We are to be available where the Holy Spirit needs us to be.  As we love we create an atmosphere where people can smell the scent of the Father.  As we serve we are ambassadors for Christ.  As we give of ourselves we usher in the presence of the Holy Spirit so He can speak to hearts and woo those around us.

We can also do just the opposite.  We can create static by our inconsistencies and aid the enemy by our lack of integrity.  Someone told me this weekend about a fellow who attended church diligently, came to football practice where he was the coach with his suit on, fresh from church...and proceeded to curse the players out with language that would make a sailor blush.  My guess is that his testimony wasn't met with awe but rather disgust.

When I was pastoring in Mountville, PA I used to go into the local bar across the street every morning to get my paper.  They came to know me during my ever so brief stops and eventually called me Father Murphy.  Some time later someone came to interview me about my pastorate and they made the comment that they would never darken the door of a bar.  It just wasn't the right thing for a Christian to do.  Are we to leave the dark places to the enemy and hide in the light?  Or are we to take the light into the dark places?

Seems simple but we get sidetracked so easily.  God is calling all of us who profess to be followers of Christ to serve and to love wherever we find ourselves.  It's okay to be salt and light in dark places.  It's good for us to press forward into battle in the territory of the enemy wherever you think that might be.

My Father hasn't called me to be a judge of the world but a lover of the people of the world so He can reach them.  It's OK.  I'm under cover for the Father.  How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment