Wednesday, September 19, 2012

What would (blank) do?

I've always wanted to be immersed in the culture that finds no time for church.  So many have given up because of the inconsistencies they have seen in those of us who profess to be followers of Christ.  So many people feel condemnation from the church because they are unable to live a perfect life.

I had a sobering encounter a few weeks ago that reminded me how carefully we are watched...those of us who proclaim Christ.

I live in a house with seven other economic refugees in Bowie, MD.  One of my housemates recently moved out.  Just before she did we had a conversation...one of many short chats about life.  She had been raised in a Presbyterian home if I recall correctly.  She had drifted around a lot and ended up in a Unitarian church.

We have shared stories along the way while living in the same house.  I've had opportunity to tell her about the healing the Father has brought to my life and the lives of my wife and children.  We've even laughed about the fact that Unitarians don't have much to sing about except rocks and trees.  She admitted to missing the old hymns that she was familiar with.

On occasion I've had chances to bless her by taking her to WalMart before she bought her car and helping her out with a few other things.  I love doing that kind of stuff...not out of obligation but because I love to bless people with cooperation.

Shortly before she moved to another location she was milling around the house and complaining to herself about how some of her housemates didn't clean up well after themselves.  She began relating the story to me after sharing that.  She said, "I looked around at the mess and then I thought to myself...what would Rick Murphy do,"  and she was quick to add "Not what would Jesus do, but Rick?"

Pretty scary, huh?

Reminded me of how often I wouldn't want my behavior to be the only model someone has of Jesus and how he would react in a situation.  Made me think of why I react to people who have fish symbols on the backs of their cars...and then drive like hell.  Or at least a son or daughter of hell.  I've written that I think each fish symbol should be sold with a bumper sticker disclaimer that says "Don't blame Jesus if the driver doesn't act like a follower of Christ".

While in the navy, sailing around the world, the US and many other countries were experiencing what was called the Jesus movement.  People were getting saved, baptized in the ocean and leaving behind the hippie lifestyle and a whole bunch of other lifestyles to follow Christ. 

We were experiencing that same revival on the ship where I served.  There were about 15 of us who regularly got together to worship and share our faith.  I remember standing in the chow line one day, chatting with a guy that I didn't really know that well.  He asked me for a Bible and said that he had been watching me for about 6 months to see if my faith was what I said it was.  He was convinced enough to want to know more.

People are watching you and I every day.  In too many cases our faith has only been expressed in words and hasn't touched our lives and certainly hasn't touched our belief systems, out of which we live.  People are looking for a genuine faith.  Not a perfect faith or perfect people who live sinlessly.  But real, authentic people who struggle with the same things they struggle with but seem to have found a joy in the midst of it from following Christ.

I am the first to admit to anyone, including the housemate I mentioned above, that I am not the ideal example of righteousness.  I am a sinner saved by grace and remade by the Spirit on a day to day basis.  I fall but He is there to catch me.  I sin and He is there to forgive me and welcome me back into His arms.  I don't have perfection to offer anyone.  I have grace.

That's what the hurting world is looking for...a real Savior who understands the dilemmas they face every day.  A Father who will love them when their earthly father didn't.  Someone to nurture them and comfort them in their pain as the nurturing Father will do.  They want our Savior.  They don't always want our dogma or arguments.  They want a life they can relate to that knows the grace of Jesus.

They are watching us daily to see if the Savior we profess, the God we follow is real and really impacting our lives.  How would you life stand up to the question, "What would.........do?"

No comments:

Post a Comment