Saturday, December 3, 2011

Character

Character isn't something you hear much about today.  We've developed into a relativistic society where the "absolutes" don't exist any more.  If it works for you, do it.  If nobody is watching, you'll probably get by with it. 

Guilt is more about whether you get caught or not, not whether what you did was wrong or right, broke a moral code or God's law.

The issue of character arises when something like what has happened to the candidate Cain, CEO of Godfather's Pizza makes the news.  He was accused several times of sexual harassment and most recently he made the scene because he was accused of having a 13 year affair with someone.  John Edwards was having an affair and fathering a child with someone other than his wife as he ran for president.

Back when Weiner was having his troubles with sending pictures to a woman that wasn't his wife, the subject came up at the office.  One of my colleagues made the comment that it shouldn't matter what he did in his private life as long as it didn't interfere with his public service.

I challenged that thought.  You see, we aren't able to separate our private and public lives.  We think we can...as long as someone doesn't find out what we're really like.  If we don't get caught, what does it matter?

Its a matter of character.  I heard a simple definition of character when I was a kid.  I would make it a deeper thing than this but it's a good place to get started.  Character is what you act out of when no one is watching.  It is your core ethical value.  It is based in the fact that as a follower of Christ we are held accountable to Him for our actions...whether we get caught or not by someone else.  The motivation for our behavior isn't the fear of getting caught or even the fear of God's punishment.  The thrust of our behavior comes from the relationship we have with the Father who sees all anyway.  We act in a way that pleases Him because we love Him and He loves us.

If the core of someone's ethics allows them to violate their sacred marriage covenant can they adequately govern or lead anyway?  I don't think so.  We are our character.  Our character is the core of who we are.  We lead and make decisions out of our character.  What is to stop someone who will violate their marriage vows from doing something else illegal?  Really, nothing.  Even the fear of getting caught can't keep people from behaving immorally.

If I say that I am for family values publicly and then violate the vows of a core family what does that say about me?  It says that I am a person without integrity.  I am operating out of duplicity.  I am saying one thing and doing another.  I am speaking out of both sides of my mouth.  My character is not solid and my moral values are up for grabs at any moment depending on the situation.

It is time for us as followers of Christ to be people of character and integrity.  It is time for us to live like we talk.  It is time for us to model what singleness of mind and heart look like.  If I say that I support family values then I should live a life that demonstrates that I take that seriously.  If I say that I love my wife or husband then I should act like that in public and private.  Not put on an act, but be integrated.  If I say I uphold the law then I should uphold ALL of the law, not just the parts that are convenient, not just the parts that I can brag about keeping while leaving silent the ones that I don't uphold.

I'm ready for some leaders whose character is that of integrity.  Who live lives of integrity.  Who practice what they preach.  Who, if they say they are on the side of the poor, don't take advantage of their position to rake in thousands of dollars so that their portfolio is bigger than when they took office.  If you are for the middle and lower class, then live like us.  If you are for ending homelessness, take someone in, support them or at least talk to them on the street as if they were really a person and not just a thing begging.

I was raised to be concerned about what people think about me.  I judged my actions for many years on that basis.  Until I realized that it really didn't matter what others thought of me.  It mattered if I pleased my King.  It mattered if I brought honor or shame on His name as His follower.  I ultimately do what I do in light of His judgement on my heart and not whether it is right to me or 10,000 others.  I can't do what I do based on what others do.  I must do what I am called to do as a man of integrity who answers to a righteous judge who sees all that I say, think and do.

Corruption and sin are rampant.  But by God's grace you and I can live lives of character that model the singleness of mind, the purity of righteousness that the Father holds dear, that is part and parcel of who He is.  God is righteousness and His followers should like from that same core of being, out of the Spirit that is within us, not for the benefit of the sight of others but so that we can stand before Him and hear, "my good and faithful servant".

No comments:

Post a Comment